Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Handmade Birthday Gifts

Samantha's birthday was last week, and I have been busy stitching up a few birthday gifts for her. (My apologies for the less-than-stellar pictures in today's post - I was taking the pictures very quickly during 'naptime' before they needed to be wrapped on her birthday! Talk about cutting it close!)

Doll placemats and napkins
I whipped up a set of placemats and napkins for her baby dolls to use when she feeds them. Best part? They are reversible!

Doll clothes
She is very into changing her baby dolls' clothes lately. Most of her doll clothes are hand-me-downs from my Cabbage Patch Kids! She has Corelle dolls and two from Target, all of which are significantly smaller than the CPKs, so their clothes are way too big. I googled a lot, and there are no patterns specifically written for Corelle dolls (I guess if you can afford them, you can afford their ridiculously priced clothes?). I found this simple pattern, which was a bit too big for the Corelle dolls, but fits the Target babies well, and we are making it work for all of them. I enjoyed using up some stash that had no prior purpose, or was left over from another project. Yay for a free gift!

Doll Clothes

Doll clothes


Dino tail and hat
Since she was having a Dino themed birthday party, and is very into dressing up, I knew she needed some new items for the dress-up box! I loved this pin when I saw it, and it is a great quick and easy pattern. I know a nephew who might need a dino tail for Christmas!

I wanted to make a hat to go along with the tail, and I tried to use this pattern, but it wasn't working for me. So I tried to use another and it came out way too big. I made it work though, but making the band the appropriate size and hiding some of the extra 'bigness' in the top of the hat in the band attachment. It's pretty cute!

The tail and hat are adorable on any kid and my husband has even tried to wear the tail (it is too small, even for his skinny self). I see more dino dress-up sets in my future sewing!

I think she was most excited about the doll clothes - she opened them up, pulled out a shirt, looked at it for a minute and said "is it doll clothes?" Yay for gifts people can identify! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! A whole lot of love went into that birthday present and I'm sure it will provide hours of fun an entertainment. Props to you for getting creative.

    ReplyDelete