Monday, March 19, 2012

For my table

A few months ago (um, I guess really almost a year ago!) I saw these cute food print fabrics at JoAnn's. I loved them, but what do you do with them? Placemats!!
I chose six prints - bananas, green and red apples, oranges, cherries, and strawberries. I bought a quarter yard of each, and took them home to do some math. Since I had quarter yards, I cut my squares at 4.5" (to get two out of the height of each cut). I measured a current placemat and decided on 13x22 (three squares high by five across).  I wanted to make six placemats (since there are six of us now!)

I cut all my squares (90 total - 15 of each color) and then started chain piecing - I set aside 18 squares (since five is an odd number, I didn't want to piece squares that I would have to unpick). I paired my sets of two up and chained pieced those. Then I added an extra square to each set of four. Ironed my seams and sewed the strips together.

I bought 1.5 yards of red Kona for the backing, and used scraps of batting. I quilted 1/4" on each side of each seam. I used a remnant of orange material for the binding, and tried machine binding (sew down to the front and fold back - sew down again). It didn't go so well, but who is going to see the back of my placemats? (If you come over, don't look!)

We really like them - they are very bright and cheerful!

Patchwork Placemats

No comments:

Post a Comment