Tuesday, March 20, 2012

For my table 2

I bought some of Denyse Schmidt's Picnics and Fairgrounds line before the babies were born. I had no plans for it, but I NEEDED it. Then, I bought some more. Ahem. (In my defense, some of the second purchase were remnants. And I do have a remnant problem). I thought the cute blues and greens would be nice for something in the kitchen.

I wanted to make a table runner, but I couldn't find good instructions for a simple one online. (I didn't want to fuss with applique or complex shapes - I just wanted patchwork!) So I measured the table, took into account how big the placemats were (but the patchwork ones actually were made after this!), and started cutting.

I cut 4.5" squares (again to take advantage of my 1/4 yard cuts) and cut 42 of them (14 in each row, 3 rows). I ended up with a runner 56.5x12.5" I randomly chain pieced into twos, set three aside. Joined the others into fours, set three aside. Joined the fours into eights, joined the twos to the fours (to make sixes) and joined a six to each eight (I hope that makes sense!). Then I ironed my seams and joined my three rows.

I quilted 1/4" away from each side of each seam, backed with another remnant of fabric and machine bound with some green cotton I had in my scrap bin.

Table Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment