Monday, June 23, 2008

Baby hats on Parade!

Baby hats are really almost like the dessert of knitting. They are quick, easy, cute, use little yarn, and provide instant gratification. No wonder I've got four down, one that needs finishing and another on the needles.



Pattern: Sweet Baby Cap
Yarn: Hill Country Yarns Sweet Feet
Needles: Sz US 3 Clover bamboo DPNs
Mods: I think I did more repeats of the chevron pattern than the pattern called for - it was hard to tell if they meant 8 more rows or 8 more repeats.
Thoughts: Very cute and easy, once I got into the rhythm of the chevron pattern. I also like how the striping changed as the hat got smaller.



Pattern: Bunny Tails from Itty Bitty Hats
Yarn: Sublime Cashmerino (I think that's what it's called)
Needles: Sz US 7 Clover Bamboo circulars and DPNs
Mods: I didn't gather the bottom of the ear as the pattern calls for - I like it this way.
Thoughts: Thanks to a very lovely raveler, I was able to finish these. I was trying to eek this hat out with the leftovers from another hat that needs finishing, but I was short just below the ears. She graciously sent me almost 1/2 ball of her leftovers, so the ears were saved. :)


Pattern: Cherry-O! from Itty Bitty Hats
Yarn: Leftovers Knitpicks Merino Style in Petal and something else
Needles: sz US 7 Clover Bamboo Circulars and DPNs
Mods: No cherries - I like just the stripes, so I'm leaving it this way for now.
Thoughts: Cute!



Pattern: Inca Baby Hat from Kid's Knits for Heads, Hands, and Toes by Debbie Bliss (now out of print)
Yarn: Berroco Comfort DK in 7 colors (leftovers from the petal hat and two more colors)
Needles: sz US 6 Addi Turbo circulars and Clover bamboo DPNs
Mods: My row gauge was off, so I added some stripes after the people and before the top shaping. I also changed up a few of the colors to use what I already had.
Thoughts: I wish the bottom didn't still flip up (even after a crochet edging), but perhaps steam will help.

Next up - baby sweaters!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:07 AM

    I just love baby hats!! I have yet to knit any but I do love them. I can't wait to knit through Itty Bitty Hats. I have been patiently waiting to get pregnant and then to know what the baby was. So once I finish my Baby Surprise Jacket I am on to doing the baby hats for girls all the way through the book. I figure since the baby will be born in November that it will need hats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! You've been busy. Hats are such great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee - those are all adorable! Knitting baby bibs is like that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're all cute hats, but that Inca one if about the cutest hat I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete