Thursday, January 03, 2008

Where I'm going

OK - I'm back and I have a more fleshed-out idea of what I want to do this year.

I've chosen 12 months of reading, in my effort to be a more "literate knitter." In no particular order, the books I'll be reading are:

Sweater Design in Plain English
Knitting in Plain English
Opinionated Knitter
Knitting Workshop
Knitter's Almanac
Knitter's Book of Yarn
Knitting Around
Knitting Without Tears
Folk Socks/Knitting Vintage Socks
Victorian Lace Today/Gathering of Lace
Folk Mittens/Folk Shawls
Knitter's Handbook/Finishing Techniques

And the books I'll be knitting from are*:

Kid's Knits - Heads Hands and Toes
Jo Sharp Knit Issue 1
Ella Rae Book 7
Handknit Holidays
Greetings From the Knit Cafe
Knit 2 Together
Folk Mittens
Vintage Knits
Favorite Socks
Knitting Vintage Socks
Opinionated Knitter
Knitter's Almanac

*Special thanks to Theresa for her inspiration for this.


Disclaimer: Some of these books I have already started projects from. However, they are still in their infancy, for the most part, so, rather than cast on more projects (in an effort to keep with that other resolution to not start so many projects), I decided to work with what I have. I also have a ton of magazines with some great patterns, and I expect some of those to pop up as well.

I'll also join Theresa in Time Machine Tuesdays - I wanted to share how some knits are holding up, and this is the perfect place for it.

In other excitement, I did spend several hours this morning working on reorganizing the stash, putting patterns away in their binders, and sorting out the books. I feel much better about the current state of the stash and the crafting area. I cleaned up this area in an effort to allow myself to pursue other crafts. I said last year that I wanted to branch out into other crafting, and I did do some sewing (that I didn't show you - but I will), and I'd like to do more and continue to work on my embroidery and spend more time with cross-stitch. I purchased Bend the Rules sewing with a Christmas gift card, and I have Amy Butler's In Stitches, and I hope those two resources will allow me to become more adept at sewing.

In my personal life, I have a few goals to share - much of the same as many of you, I hope to spend more time at the gym (4 days a week), and eat better. I also want to read more books and enjoy more podcasts v. TV.

We're also trying, as a family, to be greener. My wonderful hubby built an "encasement" for our compost pile yesterday and we'll be getting ready for our garden as soon as it warms up some. We're planning on installing new windows and reinsulating our attic to help out with energy at home. And we'll offset our carbon this year too. But we're looking for other things to do. We already do basic things like recycling all we can, using canvas bags, having wind-powered energy, drying our clothes on the line, and driving one car. If you have other suggestions for us, please leave them in the comments.


I've rambled long enough for tonight, so I'll be back tomorrow with my January goals and a closer look at that WIP list (which I miscounted, and only stands at 46 - so much better, huh?).

5 comments:

  1. It's going to be fun to follow along as you do this! Maybe I'll be inspired to pull out some of my never read knitting books, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your projects and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should be a fun year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got some great books there. I really have learned a lot from Righetti's sweater design book. I'd like to read more EZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:06 PM

    Hey girlie, our environmental goal is to buy items with less packaging, and to buy more local items to reduce our carbon footprint!

    ReplyDelete