Sunday, November 06, 2005

Let's Get Political

Warning: If you have no desire to know my views on anything other than knitting, books and other minutae, stop reading now. Knitting content will resume tomorrow. :)

Public Service Announcement:
The state of Texas is trying to pass an amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman. This really gets my goat up. I realized that I chose to live here, in a "red" state, but while I can possible effect change, I will try.

Go vote. Tuesday November 8. Go. It's your responsibility. Vote.

I saw this several weeks ago, and saved it for now. I think it's great.

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, liposuction and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans...
----------
Re-post this if you believe in legalizing gay marriage

GO VOTE!

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that! :-) Really, you don't want to get me started on societal hypocrisy, but suffice it to say I am with you 100% on that one. I was looking through some of your previous posts and I absolutely LOVE your buttonhole bag. Beautiful work! Those cabled mittens (gloves?) look gorgeous, too. Love the rich brown color. That is definitely an ambitious holiday list! Can't wait to see pics of the FO's as you cross them off your list- what lucky recipients! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! You almost made me wish I lived in TX so I could vote against it, too. Almost, but not quite. :) As for the frogging (in your last post), if it's any comfort, I have been working on gauntlets for people, and I just frogged the current one this morning. The last one I knit took me 5 tries to cast on correctly. Must be the time change or something. (p.s. Love the new look!)

    ReplyDelete